The Atomic Starburst Quilt was originally designed with everything mid century, Palm Springs, and summer vibes in mind. The mid century modern movement produced so many amazing pieces of art, furniture, and even houses. You know what else they did well? Christmas, they did Christmas right. Tinsel, aluminum trees, golden baubles, silver sparkles, and pointy decor. In an homage to a bygone era, I've adapted my Atomic Starburst Quilt pattern into a Atomic Starburst Tree Skirt available in two sizes and shapes!
Starting today you can join me in an Atomic Starburst Tree Skirt sew along. One weekend. One tree skirt. So much fun! Gather your fabrics, print your templates, and get ready to sew! Every day on my instagram @violetcraft I will post a photo prompt for a chance to win so many prizes! All prize winners will be randomly chosen on Monday, December 18 at 7pm PST from all the photo entries tagged with #atomicstarbursttreeskirt
The real prize is finishing this project, am I right?! Look below for the instructions on how to make your new tree skirt!
The Atomic Starburst Tree Skirt is made by combining foundation paper pieced Starburst blocks with traditional piecing for a vibrant, mid-century modern tree skirt. The Atomic Starburst Quilt pattern is required.
There are two sizes to choose from that can easily be cut in two different shapes!
Small: 43" diameter
- Diamonds: 12 pieces cut from prints using the DIAMOND TEMPLATE
- Starburst: 6 foundation pieced Starburst Blocks
- (18) Half Diamonds cut from background fabric using DIAMOND TEMPLATE
- (18) SMALL SASHING STRIPS cut from background fabric
- (54) LARGE SASHING STRIPS cut from background fabric
Large: 55" diameter
- Diamonds: 24 pieces cut from prints using the DIAMOND TEMPLATE
- Starburst: 12 foundation pieced Starburst Blocks
- (24) Half Diamonds cut from background fabric using DIAMOND TEMPLATE
- (36) SMALL SASHING STRIPS cut from background fabric
- (84) LARGE SASHING STRIPS cut from background fabric
Making the Tree Skirt
- General piecing instructions are found in the Atomic Starburst Quilt pattern.
- Foundation paper piece the Starburst Blocks using the instructions from the Atomic Starburst Quilt pattern.
- Sew one of the SMALL SASHING strips to the top left side of all Starburst Blocks and Full Diamonds.
- Sew one of the LARGE SASHING strips to the top left side of all Half Diamonds.
- Sew one of the LARGE SASHING strips to the top right side of all Starburst Blocks, Full Diamonds and Half Diamonds.
- Build 6 pyramids as shown below.
- Sew together the pyramids in groups of three. Sew together the two halves.
- Cut the tree opening and cut into a circle or hexagon.
- Bias-cut binding is highly recommended.
- See my video tutorials on YouTube: How to make bias binding and how to cut a quilt into a tree skirt!
Follow along on Instagram and post with #atomicstarbursttreeskirt